Sunday, August 26, 2007

Books From A Past.

When looking for a baby patten to knit, I found all my mum's old knitting books. Looking back over the age of these knitting books, I had to chuckle at the changes of the look of not only the books but also the pattens and how they are presented to us, the knitters.




The photo above is from a book I have bought and knitted from in the last 6 years at a rough guess. Looks modern and the jumpers/cardigans are a heavy Aran style that is currant with today's styles.

Now check out the photos below.



These books are from my mum's collection. I love the whole "era" look of the above knitting book. It has that "look" about it and check out the price of it, in the right hand corner.



This one screams at me..... totally "not politically correct" with a smoke in his hand. I mean he's not even hiding outside under the front veranda or out in the backyard down by the lemon tree in the dark, so no one can see him. No he's on the front cover of a knitting book, puffing away thinking it's okay to do this.

Times have changed.


If I knitted one of these jumpers for my kids, I think they would have disowned me. Also check out the haircuts, my brothers had haircuts like these children when they were kids.

It's a good photo of a jumper that can sell a jumper patten and for me the colour as well, that will catch my eye.

The little pink baby jumper is coming along nicely, back is finished and only the right side from the neck opening to go on the front. Then the sleeves will be knitted and next comes sewing it up and its all finished.

Mind you last night I spent 30 minutes on 4 rows as I kept stuffing up. Didn't matter how many times I did row 17 of the patten I couldn't get it right. Turned out in between the y fwd, sl1, K1, psso and the K2 tog, I missed a K1. When I got the row sorted and finished row 20 , I packed it away for the night and went to bed and slept till 5 am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks modern and the jumpers/cardigans are a heavy Aran style that is currant with today's styles.
__________________________

Naaaaaaaah Lucky :)

This is modern knitting!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89612787@N00/297748990/


:D

Lucky-1 said...

Good grief, I have never seen anything like that. The mind boggles:)

Anonymous said...

My friend wants to knit one - but she will definitely wear something under it!!! *grin*

There are a lot of "funky" patterns around these days to cater to the younger knitting crowd, obviously not all of them are practical :D