Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Knit One, Purl One

One of my memories of my mum was in the winter months, she'd be knitting jumpers for us 5 kids. At night while we watched TV, mum's knitting needles would be going click, clack. Nothing flash, just a plain jumper in the colours we picked out.

I can remember using the old wooden cotton reel with 4 small nails banged into it and making a tomboy. The amount of snakes and coasters we made over the years. lol

Between my mum & my Nanna I was taught the basics of knitting. I can remember knitting odd shaped clothes for my teddy as well. mrgreen

When I was married and pregnant with Amy, I became a serious knitter. I'd pick out a picture and wool then just start knitting it. If I ran into a problem or didn't understand the patten, I'd ring my Mother-In-Law (local call) and she would tell me how to do the new stitch over the phone.

Lacy layettes and cardigans for the first born. After James came along and both kids grew, so did my knitting. Picture and pattern toddler jumpers and adult jumper for Pat & myself.

But the clearest memory of my introduction beside mum knitting jumpers, was sitting and playing with her needle box of goodies and looking through her knitting books.


When our mum died back in 1994, it was decided that all her knitting items should come to me, as by that stage I was an experienced knitter and would not only put the items to good use, I would treasure them.

The needle box in the background of the photo was my mum's. I am not even sure if these can be bought now a days. Inside I store all my little bits and pieces to keep them safe. The holes in the lid are for measuring the size of knitting needles if they aren't numbers. The numbers listed on the lid aren't even in metric.

The blue case at the front, I have 2 of these and Pat gave them to me years ago when he was in the wielding business. The blue wielding cases make great needle box holders as well. Having these is handy as I have not only my needle collection by mum's as well.

Technorati technorati tags:

No comments: