Saturday, September 1, 2007

Wool Bank.


Have you ever heard of "wool bank"? I use it heaps as I love and only knit with 100% pure Australian wool when doing our jumpers.

This can cost between $4 to $5 a ball and an adult jumper can cost up to or just over $100.

Sounds a lot and it is when the wool is bought all in one visit to a wool shop. Also sounds a lot when thinking of the jumper, but with wool it wears and washes beautifully. I have woolen jumpers that are over 20 years old and so this works out at today's prices, at $5 a year, for having a jumper and wearing it.

Now back to wool bank mrgreen

Spotlight is the only place I know of, that do wool banking and I use them heaps.

How it works is .....

Pick out what wool you want to buy and ask to wool bank the wool. You'll be asked to pay for a couple of balls of wool and Spotlight will keep them until the end of your wool bank.

Then as you knit it, you pay for what you only use. So if you wool bank 15 balls of wool and you only need 11 balls...... 4 ball are returned to the shelf for selling and you have paid for 11 ball and at the end...you don't have wool left over and $$$ out of pocket.


The wool I have in the photo is for 2 new jumpers ear marked for myself and Pat. As I am not knitting them at the moment, I am buying all balls of wool I wool banked.

The green wool is for my jumper and the light brown colour is for Pat.

Now there are time limits on how long the wool bank is allowed. Mine is longer as the ladies are happy with me calling in fortnightly and picking up ex amount of balls. Also I think they are happy to know I am buying the wool and it's not sitting on the shelf. So it'll depend on the Spotlight in your area, to how long the wool bank will last.

Another bonus with wool banking is, if that brand of wool is on special, after you started your wool bank..... you will be charged at the special price if you collect any wool in those sale days. Remember you haven't paid for the wool in the wool bank.smile

So if you have a spotlight in your area, look into "wool banking" and see if it's for you.


Technorati technorati tags: , ,

No comments: